ABOUT THE HEALTHCARE MANAGEMENT TRUST
At the Healthcare Management Trust (HMT), we are committed to delivering the highest quality healthcare and understand that our well-trained, passionate team of employees are at the heart of delivering the service our patients expect.
The post holder will be required to provide high standards of direct patient care to a variety of different surgical patients within the ward/day unit environment. Enhancing patient care, while developing specific clinical competencies and enhancing own knowledge through a lifelong learning approach
The post holder will work under the guidance of the ward manager and multi-disciplinary team members in monitoring and maintaining excellent standards of nursing care as part of the ward team.
The post holder is expected to carry out all relevant forms of care with the guidance and support of more senior staff. To be flexible in the approach to the clinical area and provide cover according to experience for any area specified.
The post holder will be accountable for their nursing practice, adhere to the policies and protocols of HMT and the NMC. He/she will have a responsibility for their own personal and professional development and will assist in the continuing professional development and overall performance of learners e.g. student nurses and junior staff in the clinical area.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop effective communication skills and strategies within the department. Displaying excellent written and verbal communication
- Hold effective interpersonal and listening skills enabling optimum communication with patients, their families and the multi-disciplinary team
- To demonstrate politeness, courtesy, respect and sensitivity in dealing with patients/clients, visitors/relatives and colleagues, maintaining good customer relations
- Maintain and promote effective communication with all members of the multidisciplinary team and other Wards/Departments
- To adapt communication skills to overcome any barriers that may be met
- Contribute towards sharing good practice within the ward/department
- To promote a positive image of HMT at all times
- To work cohesively with all members of the ward team in ensuring that the very best services to patients are provided at all times
- Keep accurate and complete records of patient’s documentation and care plans. Ensure that nursing documentation is maintained to HMT standards (including electronic records)
- Maintaining confidentiality and integrity of information in line with data protection.
- The post holder must at all times work in accordance with the NMC
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills related to evidence-based practice
- To maintain confidentiality surrounding patients’ admissions and treatment at all times
- To promote the Health care Management Trusts (HMT) image to all individuals, groups and organizations both within the hospital and to the community at large
- To ensure that all patient care is documented, all the relevant documentation is completed accurately within agreed timescales using approved patient documentation, in line with NMC and local standards
- To order tests and clinical investigations as directed using the client’s IT systems and access results as appropriate ensuring that the correct results are documented.
Planning and Organising
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate programs of care, actively seeking evidence based practice which will improve the quality of care and meeting the needs of the patients.
- A holistic approach to caring should be planned that will include the appropriate level of physiological, pathological, spiritual, socio-economic and cultural aspects which influence the care of clients within your specific specialty.
- Implement a nursing plan for an assigned group of patients indicating assessment and re-assessment formulated for individual care pathways and discharge planning.
- Prioritise workload as ward acuity requires being aware of budget requirements
- Maintain excellent clinical standards of nursing practice
- Contribute to setting goals and benchmarking standards of care. Develop tools and implement guidelines (e.g. NICE) where appropriate in line with quality governance.
- Be able to identify potential risks and carry out risk assessments consistent with organisation policies, procedures, and legal requirements. Be able to report accidents/faults immediately, and ensure the correct procedure is followed i.e. completion of incident recording forms, reporting actions taken, and placing faulty equipment out of commission. Be aware of health and safety issues and attends training sessions and mandatory training. The post holder must ensure continuity of care between home and hospital/clinic and that appropriate aftercare is provide following discharge from hospital/clinic
- Exhibit advocacy and decision-making skills autonomously in relation to patient care
- Provide a plan of care for patients, using evidence-based practice to the specific needs of the patient, relatives, and carers, including information about clinical needs and conditions, health promotion, providing support and advice where necessary.
- Be able to identify and react appropriately to changing demands, situations and pressures in the department and prioritize accordingly, working as part of the team to be flexible and accommodating as appropriate.
Task Specific Skills
- Knowledge and experience in surgical nursing, working with complex surgical patients with a vast variety of patient specialties
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient care and adapt and make necessary changes while maintaining privacy and dignity
- A range of physical skills also include, administering injections, venepuncture, taking blood pressure readings, using a keyboard, using mechanical equipment, transferring patients, fitting prescribed splints and other health care aids.
- Identify deteriorating patients and take appropriate action
- Be able to manage change in a recognised timescale, adhering to deadlines, and evaluating that change, considering service provider, public and patients
- Demonstrate an enquiring approach to patient care
- Competency in pre-op admission and appropriate risk assessment and care planning to meet individual needs
- Maintains a safe environment for the patient pre and post-surgery, including monitoring vital signs as per post-operative policy, while providing high standard and quality care
- Safely administers prescribed medications and monitor effects
- Ensure documentation is accurate, precise, legible and up to date
- Basic/Intermediate life support (ALS trained desirable)
- Understands Safeguarding issues, and how to report any issues that should arise
- Teaching and mentoring awareness
- Competent with computers and able to use clinical systems
- Understanding of clinical governance and experience with audits
- Ability to work both autonomously and within a team
- Have valid NMC Registration and Revalidation
- Knowledge and understanding of the private sector
- Experience of working in a consultant-led environment
- Collaborating with other members of the ward team to ensure the patients’ needs are met to a consistently high standard
- To delegate tasks and activities to a range of team members in relation to patient care
- To actively promote a healthy lifestyle for patients and staff in line with national strategy requirements
- Demonstrates evidence of applying current research to practice
- In conjunction with the staff team, contribute to developing and maintaining a ward/department ethos and provide a standard approach to the delivery of excellent nursing care.
Training and Professional Development
- Successfully complete induction program
- Participate in HMT appraisal and personal development plan schemes by meeting with the team leader/appraiser and to include feedback from a selection of internal staff and team members
- Attend all mandatory training
- Participate in the program for preceptorship and to be a support to new and junior staff as required
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a positive learning environment for colleagues, patients and visitors
- To participate in staff education and development, including utilizing appropriate learning opportunities and to act as a resource for learners and the nursing team as/when required
- Complete Revalidation requirements
- Maintain a personal and professional profile and maintain skill developments in line with the Scope of Professional Practice
- Strive to stay up to date with evidence-based practice and surgical initiatives
- Supervise the practice of other members of the team, identify gaps in knowledge and skills, facilitate professional development and identify learning opportunities
- Ensure safe use of equipment within the department, undertaking, organizing and delivering training where necessary
- Undertake Clinical Supervision as part of the local requirements
Health and Safety
- To provide an environment ensuring the safety and welfare of patients and staff by complying with: Health & Safety at Work Act, Fire Prevention and Management, COSHH
- Use risk assessment processes to ensure the safety of patients, staff and visitors within the department is maintained
- Comply with safer handling principles, techniques, policy and guidelines
- Comply with Infection Prevention and Control principles, techniques, policy and guidelines
- Demonstrate awareness and compliance with HMT policies, procedures, guidelines, standards and core behaviors
- Be aware of the HMT framework of clinical governance, patient safety walk rounds within the ward or department and seeking advice or guidance where necessary
- Identify and report clinical risks to the ward/departmental manager so that appropriate action can be taken in accordance with HMT risk management policy
- To provide a suitable and safe environment for the physical, psychological and spiritual wellbeing of staff, patients/clients along with their relatives/carers, seeking guidance or advice where necessary
- Record and report all incidents/complaints involving staff, patients and visitors in accordance with HMT policies and assist in any investigations as required.
Equality & Diversity
Contribute to making the clinical environment conductive to learning and development where individuals feel able to discuss ideas and action as well as showing initiative.
All staff have an individual responsibility for creating accurate records of their work and for making entries into and managing all patient records effectively in line with all the Health Record Keeping Policies and Procedures in order to meet the Hospital’s legal, regulatory and accountability requirements.
Health & Safety
To take reasonable care to prevent injury to themselves or others who may be affected by their acts or omissions.
To co-operate fully in discharging HMT policies and procedures with regard to health and safety matters.
To immediately, report to their manager any shortcomings in health and safety procedures and practice.
To report any accidents or dangerous incidents to their immediate manager and safety representative as early as possible and submit a completed accident / incident form.
To use protective clothing and equipment where provided.
Whilst the aim of the hospital is to promote a co-operative and constructive view of health and safety concerns in the organization, all staff must be aware that a willful or irresponsible disregard for safety matters may give rise to disciplinary proceedings.
To actively participate in governance activities to ensure that the highest standards of care and business conduct are achieved.
Sancta Maria Hospital is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
BENEFITS: 27 Statutory days’ holiday plus bank holidays, contributory pension, private medical insurance.
We regularly review our employee benefits package, which includes our group personal pension plan and private medical cover.
This is an outline job description setting out general responsibilities and tasks the post-holder may be required to undertake. It is not comprehensive and the post-holder may be required to carry out other duties and responsibilities from time to time as determined by HMT. The job description will also be subject to change in-line with the needs of the Hospital and the organization.
Staff will be expected to carry out their duties in line with their terms and conditions and contract of employment, the standards stated in the staff handbook and will be required to follow HMT policies and procedures and as stated in the NMC/HCP.
Staff have a contractual duty to ensure that mandatory training is current and will be expected to participate and undertaken further developmental training specific to their role.