Miles of smiles are on offer thanks to our partnership with Friendship At Home through the Cycling Without Age movement.
A while back we invested in this amazing triobike – a battery-assisted trishaw cycle operated by volunteer ‘pilots’ – and post-Covid we’re back taking older people out for a spin in the fresh air.
We’ve been doing this for some time and we’re thrilled to be able to get back in the saddle after months of Government restrictions.
On board the triobike for a trip around the beautiful Haverstoe Park were Peter and Beryl, from Cleethorpes. They have been married for 63 years, and Peter is a long-time member of Friendship At Home’s singing group.
Peter, 88 years young and soon to celebrate his 89th birthday, said:
“This is such a good idea. It’s very good to get out and about.”
Peter was born in Louth and was a butcher by trade. The couple moved to Cleethorpes to reduce Peter’s commuting time, and since retiring they joined Friendship At Home, enjoying bingo and exercise classes.
“We love it,” said 84-year-old Beryl. “We had never been on the triobike before and it was such a nice surprise to be invited to have a go.
“We often walk through the park, as we live quite nearby, and the pavilion is doing a good job. It’s a lovely place to visit and seeing it from the seat of the triobike is very different.”
Afterwards they were treated to a cuppa and a buttie thanks to the wonderful team at Haverstoe Park Pavilion.
Gary Allington, Health Promotion Officer at St Hugh’s, was the pilot for these first trips of 2021.
“It’s just as beneficial for pilots as it is for the people enjoying the ride. It’s so lovely to have a chat with them and hear them talking about what they’re seeing and feeling and reminiscing about the area in days gone by.
“It gives me such a buzz. It’s a great initiative and I can’t wait to get back out again – come rain or shine!”
If you’d like to volunteer as a pilot, call Friendship At Home on 01472 602500. Full training and support is given.
Find out more…
- Friendship At Home aims to combat loneliness and isolation throughout North East Lincolnshire, and to improve people’s quality of life. Get involved here –www.friendshipathome.org.uk
- The Cycle Hub – with bases at Grimsby’s and Cleethorpes’s railway stations – is a community interest company. Visit www.cyclehublincs.org.uk
- Good food, hot drinks and more are on offer at Haverstoe Park Pavilion. Find them here – facebook.com/HaverstoePavilion
- Cycling Without Age is a worldwide movement – head over to https://cyclingwithoutage.org
- Thanks to TransPennine Express for storing our triobike. Visit www.tpexpress.co.uk
We’d like to say a big thank-you to Cleethorpes Cycle Hub for repairing our triobike over the weekend, and to TransPennine Express and the booking office at Cleethorpes Railway Station for storing it through the pandemic. They have played their part in getting the triobike back into our community… so thank you!
If you think you could volunteer as a triobike pilot, get in touch with Friendship At Home on 01472 602500. Full training and support will be given.